A635.2.3.RB - How Companies Can Make Better Decisions
Marcia Blenko (2010) noted that decision effectiveness
positively connects with employee engagement and financial performance in an
organization. I think that employee engagement is related to decision
effectiveness because engaged employees feel connected to the changes happening
within the organization. Also, when employees are engaged in the decision-making
process, they may identify important information that leaders may not have
considered. When leaders reach out to employees during the decision-making
process, they give a voice to those working closely within the organization.
When employees are heard, they may feel more connected to the change process
and mission of the organization.
Decision-making is challenging no matter the
circumstance; however, decision-making is even more challenging when there are hindrances impacting the process. For example, with the growing complexity of
companies, it is hard to decipher how decisions work and who makes the decisions
(Blenko, 2010). Organizational charts used to clearly define who the decision-maker
was for each department; however, many companies are not referring to the organizational
chart model (Blenko, 2010). As a result, people are not clear about who makes
decisions and the right information does not go to the decision maker (Blenko,
2010). Another hindrance to good decision making is leader behavior; because leaders
are not engaging in open, constructive debate and communication prior to decision
making, leaders often have to follow-up with decision-conversations that should
have occurred before a decision was made (Blenko, 2010). Blenko (2010) also
noted that some decisions makers lack the talent needed for key decision roles;
this talent-lack negatively impacts good decision making.
Blenko (2010) noted that there are four elements to good
decisions: quality, speed, yield, and effort. In
addition to Blenko’s list, I would add my pro/con list process. Whenever I have
to make an important decision, I create a pro/con list. However, when I am facing
a decision that has potentially great outcomes, but it is still a tough decision,
I reference my “cons” as “concerns”. After making my lists, I have all of the
information in front of me; I can think clearly; I make faster decisions, and I
have written evidence of the entire process. I do not remember when I began
thinking through my decisions in terms of pro/con lists; however, I am thankful
for this process. Within the last few years I had to make important decisions;
my pro/con/concerns lists have been valuable resources throughout my decision-making
processes. I would also add consult to Blenko’s list. While it is not essential
to consult others for every decision, I do believe that it is important to talk
through our decisions with those we trust, subject-matter experts, and those
who’ve made similar decisions. Talking through my decisions, after I’ve made my
lists, helps me process.
As a trainer for newly hired employees, I had an
opportunity to help build the training curriculum. The curriculum was comprised
of our polices and process. While reading through our policies and processes, I
noticed areas where clarity was required, or I thought of ways we could do
things differently. When I communicated my ideas to our leaders, they listened.
My leaders allowed me to be a part of the decision-making process because they
trusted me; they also knew that I would have a better handle on our processes
as an employee and as a trainer. Because I was engaged in the decision-making
process, I believe that effective decisions were made. I would like to see my
organization continue to grow in employee engagement so that we are effective
in our decisions. Also, as I grow in my career, I want to intentionally practice
Blenko’s four elements to good decision making. I will always use my pro/con/concern
list, but I also want to focus on the quality of my decisions, the time it
takes to make decisions, the way I execute my decisions, and the effort given
to my decision.
Blenko, M. (2010, October 13). How Companies Can
Make Better Decisions, Faster. Retrieved from YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxpg6D4Hk8&feature=youtu.be
Comments
Post a Comment