A635.4.3.RB - Build a Tower, Build a Team
Upon analyzing the results of the marshmallow challenge, Tom
Wujec (2010) shared that groups of kindergartners performed better than business
students. Wujec (2010) noted that kindergartners performed better because they
did not spend time creating the best plan, and they were not quietly vying for
power. Wujec (2010) also noted that business students are trained to find the
single right plan; however, the kindergartners build multiple prototypes, while
keeping the marshmallow on top of the structure (Wujec, 2010). Based on what I know of children and adults, I
am not surprised by the results, nor do I disagree with Wujec’s kindergartner-performance
theory. While adults tend to think inside of the box, especially business
leaders, children think freely. Also, the kindergartners’ focus was on building
the tower, not on who is in charge of delegation and execution.
CEO’s with an executive assistant may perform better because
the executive assistant may be more focused on the task and details. Additionally,
the executive assistant may be less concerned about leading the project and
more concerned about accomplishing the goal. Executive assistants may also have
strong intuitive and need-anticipating skills; thus, executive assistants’ skill set may be at work when building the tower.
If given the opportunity to present this video at a process
intervention workshop, I would focus on the “how” of accomplishing the task, not
the task. Brown (2011) stated that process interventions never involve the team’s
task; process interventions are about how the group will accomplish the task
(p. 203). I would discuss behaviors that hinder team-building, like dominating, interrupting,
playing around, and inappropriate behavior (Brown, 2011, p. 202). I would also discuss the importance of
relationships as they relate to production. Sometimes organizations are so focused
on tasks and goals, that leaders do not emphasize the importance of building relationships.
Additionally, leaders are so focused on their positions that they are not
building their team, or inspiring followers to lead. In process intervention,
each team member has an opportunity to lead and follow (Brown, 2011, p. 203). Managers
who practice process interventions encourage team members to take leadership
roles; in this instance, the manager releases leader-domination and inspires
growth among employees (Brown, 2011, p. 203). I would also talk about how all members
need each other in order to be effective; leaders cannot effectively lead
without a strong team. While business leaders were trying to “take charge” of
the marshmallow challenge, the kindergartners were team-focused (though they
may not have known they were) and project-focused; I would encourage the group
to incorporate the lesson of the kindergartners into their daily work habits.
Striving for the top, at all costs, will always be a career/life
temptation; however, I do not want the top if it means that I will lead with arrogance.
I do not want to be so focused on the goal, while forgetting those who will
take us to the top. Bottom-line, no matter my position, I want to stay
team-focused; I want to remember that it takes all members to achieve
organizational goals. In addition to team-oriented leadership, I want to stop over analyzing problems. Analysis is great, but over analysis can sometimes put
me in the same box that those CEO’s and business students were in; over analysis
did not help them successfully complete the marshmallow challenge. The CEO’s
and business students looked at the dilemma one way, without considering
multiple prototypes. Therefore, I want to think like a child in terms of freedom,
exploration, team-oriented, and task-focused.
Brown, D. R. (2011). An Experiential Approach to
Organization Development (8th ed.). Saddle River, NJ : Prentice Hall.
Wujec, T. (2010, February ). Build a Tower, Build a
Team. Retrieved from TED Ideas Worth Spreading:
https://www.ted.com/talks/tom_wujec_build_a_tower
Comments
Post a Comment