A635.5.3.RB - Video Debrief of Team MA
In addition to his dream to create a company that would
contribute to history, Steve Jobs and his team wanted to create a product built
from the heart (Petrenko, 2012). In his conversations with his team, Steve
noted that the most important part of their business was to build a company in
which customers could feel and experience the organization’s care and passion (Petrenko,
2012). Steve Jobs and his team were major innovators who were willing to leave
their jobs to launch their own company (Petrenko, 2012). The NeXT team was
excited to discuss marketing strategies to sell their products to college
students, and more than anything else, reiteration of the team’s vision was
essential to their existence (Petrenko, 2012). NeXT team members were not afraid
to openly disagree and challenge one another, yet, their challenges were not
personal attacks; they challenged ideas for the good of the mission. Although NeXT team members were excited to start the company,
many members were concerned about starting in light of their past failures;
however, Steve reminded the team that past failures would not determine the
success of their present goals (Petrenko, 2012). In the mist of his team’s fear
and resistance, Steve let them know that if they did not launch their product,
they would no longer exist as a company (Petrenko, 2012).
As I reflect on the NeXT team and Steve’s drive, I think
about my views on management in relation to my Management Assessment (MA). According
to the results of my MA, I am better suited for a large dynamic business
environment, with an emphasis on change and growth. I learned that I prefer a
stable job environment, and while I am willing to take job risks, I do not want
those risks to impact my livelihood. For example, I am less likely to leave a
job and start my own company if it means I may experience financial loss; the
financial loss would impact my personal life. Based on the MA, I like rules,
standards, and structures. I like to know what I am working on and I don’t necessarily
require feedback from others if I am confident in what I am doing. In my debrief
with Marissa, she noted that, based on my MA results, I would rather improve
what has already been created. I have aggressive goals, which is good for a dynamic
organization; however, my goals are internally driven. Marissa noted that I may
experience conflict if my internal goals are not reflective of the goals of the
organization. I like to be challenged and I get bored when I am no longer
challenged.
Based on all that I learned about myself through my MA, I
think I would keep the NeXT team grounded. Because I value structure and
details, per my MA debrief, I would provide a good foundation for the team. My
MA results also found that I am more focused on specific details and less
focused on the big picture; Steve was more focused on the big picture. When
working on teams, both detail-oriented members and big-picture members are
needed. The NeXT team environment was one that allowed every member a voice; if
I was a part of the team, I’d use my voice and take charge as needed, but I am
also comfortable following. As one who is highly motivated to solve problems, I
could use my skills to help the company navigate through roadblocks. Though I
may find it challenging working within a small company, I do value working in small
groups; therefore, I believe I would thrive as a member of the NeXT team. Although
my strength is not innovation, I’d be working with innovators, and I’d be ready
to improve what they have already created. Finally, like Steve, I am goal-driven;
when I set a goal, I am confident that I can achieve it.
Petrenko, S. (2012, January 19). Steve Jobs
Brainstorms with NeXT Team. Retrieved from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQhufxiorM&feature=youtu.be
Comments
Post a Comment